TEXAS CHURCH SHOOTING

A tragic event occurred in South Texas, killing at least 26 people.

Enya Ratkic, Feature Editor

In the city of Sutherland Springs, people are torn apart and heartbroken after 26 people died in a church shooting. 4% of the little town’s population was killed at the church shooting, ranging from ages 17 months – 77 years old. 12 people still remain hospitalized. The killer, Devin Patrick Kelly drove over 30 miles south to the church with a Ruger AR-556 rifle, shooting people. Kelly has had a troubled past, as in 2012 he managed to escape from a mental health facility after sneaking guns onto an Air Force base and making threats against commanders. Also, Kelly has had a history of domestic violence. Kelly had attended the church in the past, and was unwelcome there as the pastor wanted him out. But this time, on November 5, Kelly was armed with an assault rifle and 15 loaded magazines, with a nasty plan to hurt and kill. Shortly before the shooting, Kelly posted a photo of a Ruger AR-556 rifle on Facebook. Continuing to scroll down his Facebook page, authorities found that Kelly was interested in mass shootings, as he was posting about non-God beliefs, atheism, lots of gun violence, and lots of weapons he was interested in. Fast forward to during the attack, when Kelly emptied the 15 magazines, around 450 rounds, at the church, making so much destruction that the building is beyond repair and that most of the church family is gone. As Kelly left the church, he was confronted by Stephen Willeford, who lives very close by the church. Willeford ran out of his house barefoot when he heard gunshots, and then shot Kelly twice. Then Kelly fled in a car while being chased by Willeford and another man, Johnnie Langendorff. After Kelly was shot, he called his dad, telling him that he wasn’t going to make it. Then, Kelly shot himself. The intense chase ended with his car in a ditch and him dead.

Sources: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/us/texas-church-shooting/index.html