THE PROS AND CONS OF ONLINE SCHOOLING

Here are some pros and cons of online schooling!

A brief look into the basics of online schooling. What is online schooling and why are more people choosing this as opposed to brick and mortar? Well, kids and teens are making choices about what they want to do with their lives earlier than ever before. The biggest issue they run into is how to manage their time going to school followed by extracurriculars. A huge solution is online schooling! Kids can work at their own pace and get an education while still doing the things they love. Plus, they’re welcomed by lots of wonderful teachers who just get it. That’s why they’re here. What are the pros and cons of online schooling? While this seems like a wonderful option for growing students to allow them to have the time to do the things they love, there are good and bad things about having the freedom to learn on your own time. What are some Pros? There are so many wonderful things about online schooling. Personally, I am a huge theatre junkie. I’m always in 3 or 4 musicals at a time. Theatre is an escape from the real world and I love singing, dancing, and acting. However, I never had the time to focus at a brick and mortar school. I was too busy juggling between homework and my art. With online schooling, I (as well as other theatre friends that I know) have the flexible schedule to be in all the productions we want. We can get work done when it is convenient with our productions. Ellie Szeryk, an iUniveristy Prep student, says, “I can be flexible and practice more.” She is always traveling the world for golf tournaments and loves the flexibility of schooling online. Another pro, unlike many people think, there are teachers that are just a text away. Whenever a student needs help, whether it be a phone call or a meeting at a local Starbucks, all we need to do is reach out to a teacher letting them know that we need help. What are some Cons? Most of the cons to online schooling are not overall, but instead, specific to different students’ learning styles. One of the biggest cons includes that we do not always have teachers by our side to give us instruction. Ellie also says, “Sometimes its hard to understand subjects because i’m all by myself.” Most of the discussions are limited to online chat rooms and presentations. Another big con is that online schooling is NOT for people that cannot learn visually. There is a lot of reading, and by a lot, I mean everything is watching videos and reading online articles and textbooks. Lastly, and this one is huge, online schooling requires a load of self discipline. It is extremely easy to slack off and let your assignments pile up. Self discipline requires a lot of concentration and focus. Homeschool students need to set up times and places to do their work or it doesn’t get done. In closing, homeschooling is wonderful, but it does have its ups and downs when it comes to the learning process. Would you have what it takes to be a good homeschooled student?