THE SECRET TO A HAPPY HOLIDAY

Here is how to make a delicious treat called "A Cake in a Jar"

Abbey Copeland, Staff Writer

We all have that one special treat during the holiday season that makes our mouths water, whether it be a gingerbread cookie or a pumpkin pie we have a dedicated portion in ourselves that is ready to devour that treat at any moment. You may think you have the greatest recipe of all time, but just wait until you read about this oh so sweet treat that will make you crumble to your knees begging for more. This piece of heaven is called “A Cake in a Jar,” And it looks just as it sounds, being that the batter is cooked right in the jar and it’s topped off with a piece of fabric that is holiday themed. This cake has been around in my family for as long as I can remember and it has yet to disappoint my family or friends.

The special treat with the name ‘cake in a jar’ was first introduced into our family when my grandmother was just a little girl, and they would go around to all their friends and family giving out as many as they could. This tradition hasn’t stopped till this day and it will continue for many generations to come. It will surely put a smile on anybody’s face when they take that first bite and the cake just melts on the surface of their tongue. Not to mention it is very easy to make, so the whole family can pitch in and help.

To begin this recipe you will need 3 cups of sugar, ½ cup of Crisco, and 2 sticks of butter. With these three ingredients you will cream them for 3 to 5 minutes. Next you will add 6 eggs, one at a time, beating each of them for at least 1 minute. You will then need create the flour mixture which consists of 3 cups of flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, and ½ tsp of salt. Using that mixture sift it 3 times. Once you have completed that the next step will require 1 cup of milk.Now you will put a small amount of the flour mixture into the bowl with a small amount of milk in it as well. Go back and forth with the flour mixture and the milk until both of the ingredients have been properly mixed together. You will now add 1 tsp of each lemon, rum extract , and coconut extract. After mixing all the ingredients together fold in one can of Angel flake coconut. This step is optional if you do not want to have coconut in your cake. Since you have completed the actual recipe you will need to Pam spray seven 1 ½ pint wide-mouth canning jars (Mason Jars). Pour the cake batter equally into all seven jars and place on a cookie sheet to bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Once they have been fully cooked carefully remove the jars one by one and wipe off the rims. Place the seal on the top of the jar and put a round piece of holiday fabric on top. Screw on the rim tightly and let it cool. Once you are ready to indulge into this cake simply warm the cake in the microwave and enjoy. If you aren’t able to finish it in one sitting don’t worry because they will last in the pantry for three months to a year! So if you find one in a few months untouched it will be like Christmas all over again.

This simple cake in a jar is a special treat you will always want to cook up, whether it be a gift to a friend or a dessert for the family dinner it never grows old. Having a tradition like this one still be apparent today shows how it can bring people together during the holidays, and maybe it’s time for this to be a tradition in yours as well.