• Happy Fall! Time to read some amazing articles! 🍂
  • Look at all the amazing articles written by our awesome writers! 😍
  • Welcome back, iHooters! Join us in Mrs. Harbison's LL Room on Fridays at 9:30

STUDY GROUPS: THE ULTIMATE TOOL FOR IUP STUDENTS

This article talks about some of the benefits of study groups.
Yahia Osman

While there are many ways that students can study for a big exam,  I believe that there is one strategy that is overshadowed by all the other ones. The strategy that I am talking about is study groups. These groups are often overshadowed by more well-known study tips, like reading and reviewing lessons. While those are all important, study groups can also be very helpful,  even more helpful than you might think.  

There are many benefits that come with joining a study group, especially in a virtual school. This article will helpfully shed some light on those benefits and encourage other students to join or even start their own study groups.

Benefit #1

To start off, study groups allow students to make greater connections and friendships with their fellow student peers. They allow students to meet each other, cooperate, and build strong relationships with each other. These groups also give students an opportunity to work on their teamwork skills. This is because the students have to work together to solve problems. 

Benefit #2

Adding on to this,  study groups can give students a different perspective towards studying than normal strategies of studying would. Students are not used to studying together on a regular basis, and sometimes group studying can be loud. One way to avoid this is by choosing the right environment to study in. When you’re focused on studying, you can see that it is a very amazing strategy, and you will be more likely to do it again.

Benefit #3

Last, but certainly not least, study groups can mentally help students, especially if the group is student-led. They allow students to feel more comfortable since they are being taught by peers who can relate to them in many ways. And with these groups, students can become more confident with their abilities and feel inspired to even start their own study groups, which is a great thing. These groups allow students to feel like they can do more than they could’ve ever imagined. Additionally, the creation of a study group requires lots of skills. When a student creates a study group, they can gain leadership expertise and overall become better at helping their peers, inspiring them to be their best selves. 

Owl Opinions

Firstly, Anika Goswami, a fellow iUP Owl in 8th grade, gave her commentary on the matter. She said, “Study groups are beneficial in the sense that they give you an opportunity to work with others to do your very best. You and the other students in the study group can help keep each other on track with schoolwork, and everyone can be a source of motivation and encouragement for each other.” I love her response and completely agree with it.

Our next iUP Owl is none other than 10th grader, Danny Hall. He says, “I personally think that a study group can be beneficial because working together with others to achieve a common goal can make the task of studying less stressful and more fulfilling knowing that there are others that are reaching for the same objective as you are.” This is a very well-said response. 

The third iUP Owl is another 10th grader, Amirah Santos Figueroa. Her response was, “Exchanging knowledge is one of the study group’s greatest benefits! In iUniversity Prep we have so many smart people and if you have the right mindset going into it, that knowledge can rub off on one another by strengthening each other’s academic weaknesses-making it a productive study group. Basically a combination of getting work done while meeting new people and having a good time, who wouldn’t want that?”

iUP Owls have many different thoughts and opinions about study groups. After all these responses,  it’s safe to say that we can all agree that study groups are very beneficial,  in more than one way. I hope you found this article helpful and inspiring. Thank you for reading and I hope to write to you all soon!

View Comments (2)