• April 6Student Kuddos: Shout out to Kirsten White for actively participating! -Tatiana McClung

• April 6iHoot has been made possible by a grant from the GCISD Education Foundation. Thank you for your support!

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Madyson Grobe, Staff Writer

Well it looks like we have ourselves a new president for 2017! It seems to me that many people are not so happy with the outcome. Others were astonished and approving with the outcome. We have had many elections and many presidents, but this election was something else! Congratulations to Donald Trump for his victory in the presidential race.

Electoral Votes:

To become president a candidate must receive 270 electoral votes.  Each state is worth a certain amount of electoral votes depending on the population.  Then once the state tallies their votes for the candidates, that winning candidate of that state will receive all the electoral votes for that state.  For Trump he was awarded some of the larger electoral votes from Texas and Florida.  It was very close in the Florida polls.  Trump very, very closely pulled ahead of Clinton in this state to win 29 electoral votes.  Some of the important states he won were Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. The big ones Clinton got were California and New York. But in the end, Trump walked away with the correct number of electoral votes to seal the win.

Policies Trump Believes In:

With a new president taking over soon, Trump has many plans and policies that he wants to change for our country.  One thing that Trump wants to do is deport undocumented immigrants. Which basically means anyone who came over to the United States illegally will have to leave. Another thing that Trump is wanting to do as president is allow school districts to have more power in their curriculum.  He wants to get rid of the “common core” and let the teachers create lessons that meet the needs of their kids and not have to follow the mandated curriculum.  Lastly, he wants to get rid of “Obama Care”.  He wants to regulate the medical field and help stabilize the high insurances many Americans are now having to pay under President Obama’s policy.

Whether you were in favor of Trump or Clinton, we as a country must unite!  We cannot continue to be divided and allow our great country to fall apart.  My hope is that Trump will help us unite and that we can all stand together as one instead of individuals.

1 Comment

One Response to “THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION”

1. Jonathan Story on November 15th, 2016 9:23 am

Great Article, Madyson! I completely agree. it doesn’t matter you support now, we can’t afford to be divided any longer.

Jonathan Story,
    Clubs and Activities Editor

[Reply]

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Feature

ONE’S OWN SPACE

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Showcase

SAUTER WINS JAG METALS 350

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Entertainment

The Patchwork Girl of Oz

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

College Corner

RICE UNIVERSITY: A REVIEW

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Showcase

XFINITY AND TRUCK RECAP

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Showcase

THE POWER OF BRAIN FOODS

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Feature

GETTING SOCIAL WITH IUPREP

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Eyes on Owls

KAITLYNN CURTNER- 12TH GRADE STUDENT OF THE MONTH

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Eyes on Owls

LYDIA ENGLAND-8TH GRADE STUDENT OF THE MONTH

• THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

Eyes on Owls

EMMA JOHNSON-6TH GRADE STUDENT OF THE MONTH

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION