• April 6Student Kuddos: Shout out to Kirsten White for actively participating! -Tatiana McClung

• April 6iHoot has been made possible by a grant from the GCISD Education Foundation. Thank you for your support!

DIY HARRY POTTER WANDS

Jaci Pope, Staff Writer

How many of you have read the Harry Potter books? Seen the movies? I have done both, and loved each and every one of them. One of my favorite props in the movies is the wands. Ever since I re-watched the movies, I have wanted a Harry Potter wand, but they can be pretty expensive. So, I looked on YouTube, and I found some videos on how to make them. Here is a quick and easy way to make Harry Potter wands.

For this project, there are a number of different materials that you can use for the actual base of the wand. What you use depends on what you have and what look you want your wands to look like. You can use chopsticks, knitting needles, or wooden dowels. I used the wooden dowels, but the easiest and cheapest option is chopsticks. If you decide to use the wooden dowels, you will also need a belt sander to make the tip(s) pointed. You will also need a hot glue gun, preferably a low temperature one, but high will work almost as well. You will also need acrylic paint in your choice of color(s). I used black, gold, brown, and white.

The first thing you need to do is use the hot glue gun to make the handle and/or any design that you might want. You can find some really good pictures online of wands from the movies. If you are using the wooden dowels, you want to shape the tip with the belt sander before you do this. You can use your fingers to help you get the right shape (make sure the glue isn’t too hot, first!).

Once you have gotten the design that you want, make sure that the glue is completely dry and cooled, and then, you can paint your wand any color that you want. I would recommend painting a thin layer, letting it dry, add a thin layer and let it dry, and repeat until you are satisfied with the coloring. Wait for the last layer of paint to dry, and you have a custom Harry Potter wand!  Make sure to keep water away from your wand, it will remove the paint! Eventually, the paint on the hot glue will start to chip. When this happens, all you need to do is touch up the paint with a paintbrush with the same color of paint that you used for your wand.