FINALE OF OLYMPIC FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT

Here are the final results!

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Trainholic (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Ian Kirk, Staff Writer

Day six of the Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea was enthralling. With the finale of the Figure Skating team event, it’s hard to believe that the Olympics are just getting started.

Last night was the Men’s Long Program, Women’s Long Program, and the Ice Dancing Long Program for the Figure Skating team event. Before the finale, here were the standings-

1-Canada, 45 points

2-Olympic Athletes from Russia, 39 points

3-The United States of America, 36 points

4- Italy, 35 points

5-Japan, 32 points

The first event of the evening was the Men’s long program. Adam Rippon of the United States replaced Nathan Chen for the free skate, at Nathan chose the short program, and Adam the long. Set to Coldplay and the Theory of Everything, Adam completed a flawless skate filled with technical wonders and beautiful artistry. He went into second place behind Mikhail Kolyada of the Olympic Athletes from Russia, stirring controversy, as many believed he should have gone into first. Patrick Chan of Canada skated a riveting long program, stuffed with amazing quads, deep edges, and precises spins and footwork. He won the event with 173.57 points.

The next event was the Ladies Long program. Replacing Bradie Tennell, who competed in the Ladies Short program for the team event, was Mirai Nagasu. After getting fourth in Vancouver in 2010, she was left off the Olympic team in 2014, even though she received a higher placement at nationals than others who were named to the team. This time, she was sent to the Olympics equipped with a special skill that no other lady has right now. The Triple Axel.

The Triple axel is a forward jump take off, with three and a half revolutions completed in the air. Men do this jump with ease, and any male skater that competes internationally has one. Ladies on the other hand, almost never do this jump, as it is harder for them to complete it. No U.S women has ever completed one in the Olympics, and very few women have completed it in other competitions such as Worlds or the Grand Prix circuit. That said, Mirai Nagasu made history by being the first ever U.S lady to complete a triple axel in the Olympic Games. With a clean skate, she came in second with a score of 137.53. Alina Zagitova of the Olympics Athletes from Russia came in first with a score of 158.08, with complex triple-triple combinations and strategic placement of elements.

The last element of the Team event was Ice Dancing. Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani of the United States delivered a heart warming free dance set to Coldplay’s, “Paradise.” After getting second in the short program, the Shibutanis soared to second in the free skate as well. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada, the 2010 Olympic Champions, and the 2014 Olympic Silver Medalists, won the free skate with a charismatic long program set to Moulin Rouge. Here were the final scores of the night-

1-Canada, 73 points (GOLD)

2-The Olympic Athletes from Russia, 66 points (SILVER)

3-The United States of America, 62 points (BRONZE)

4-Italy, 56 points

5-Japan, 50 points

Union, International Skating. “Olympic Winter Games, Pyeongchang 2018.” Olympic Winter

Games PyeongChang 2018, International Skating Union, International Olympic Committee, 12

Feb. 2018, www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/.