• Look at all the amazing articles written by our awesome writers!
  • For iUP info, visit the virtual vine
  • Follow us on Instagram @ihootnewspaper

HONORING IHOOT’S INSTRUMENTAL SPONSOR

Thank You For Everything Mrs. Harbison
Eve Bamber

Way back in 2014, following iUniversity Prep’s second year in operation, Mrs. Harbison, along with other students and faculty, founded the first virtual newspaper for our amazing virtual school, iHoot. Though they may not have fully understood the scope of this in the present, iHoot would go on to positively impact hundreds of students over the years. By always remaining the Sponsor of this club and aiding in iHoot’s student-run, student-led ideals, Mrs. Harbison would leave her mark on each of us, something that we are unfathomably appreciative of today. This is what we honor and celebrate today, because after 9 years of us being graced with her presence and leadership, Mrs. Harbison is moving on to her next chapter.

Though Mrs. Harbison is usually referred to as iUPrep’s beloved literature teacher, she is also the visionary who transformed iUPrep’s newspaper from a mere concept into a thriving platform for student expression. Joining iUPrep in its second year, Mrs. Harbison would then undertake the ambitious task of developing the fledgling iHoot newspaper into the vibrant virtual publication that it is today! Her mission has always been to empower students and provide them with a voice, ensuring that iHoot serves as an authentic publication and a vital creative outlet for student ideas. Under her forefront of guidance, iHoot has become a hub where students channel their creativity and share their unique perspectives. Emphasizing the importance of student inclusivity, Mrs. Harbison has always encouraged students from all walks of life to join iHoot, highlighting how everyone can find a place in this collaborative club. Mrs. Harbison’s love for writing, stemming from her love for literature, coupled with her care for students in the iUPrep community not only made her the perfect person for the job of “iHoot sponsor”, but also allowed her to pave the way for countless students to explore their passions.

Mrs. Harbison has made such an influence on many students’ lives, especially in iHoot. Her dedication has left a lasting imprint on each writer’s heart, and helped shape not just their writing skills, but their character too. News Section Editor Danny Hall states, “Ultimately, I feel that the greatest way that Mrs. Harbison impacted my iHoot career was by simply giving me the chance to be a part of this club in the first place, especially now as a section editor. Without Mrs. Harbison, I would be in a totally different spot in my life, and I’m incredibly grateful for all that Mrs. Harbison has done not only for me, but for the rest of the students that are a part of this amazing club.” 

Furthermore, Mrs. Harbison has offered unwavering kindness to her students, pinpointing her exceptional character both in and out of the classroom. Avika Taneja writes, “Mrs. Harbison was always helpful whenever I needed something for my iHoot tasks. Truly an exceptional part of the iHoot Sponsor team.” Caeden Conley, who has had her as both a teacher and leader in iHoot, agrees: “Mrs. Harbison’s support in iHoot and teaching of literature and composition helped me develop to be a better writer and gave me an appreciation for written work.” Finally, Erin O’Connell says, “Mrs. Harbison is iHoot’s backbone, she’s a huge part of what the club is today, and she’s helped me succeed in iHoot by making sure that, first, there was an iHoot to succeed in. Following that, she helped me succeed by ensuring that I never felt like I couldn’t work my way up, that I never felt like I couldn’t learn and become a journalist and, eventually, an editor that could help other writer’s reach their potential. Finally, Mrs. Harbison helped to create a community that will continue to foster these ideals for years to come, so that iUP’s writers will never feel isolated from growing in their writing abilities.”

Every young student that has met Mrs. Harbison has felt the influence of her respect and love for teaching as she has pushed her students to become better and reach their goals in writing. Mrs. Harbison is such a bright light to iHoot and iUP as a whole, and has helped grow the school exponentially with her presence. 

Mrs. Harbison’s impact ventures far beyond her roles as teacher and club sponsor in iUP. Her impact on her students and iHoot members was massive as she guided and helped others further improve not only their writing skills through writing articles, but also their communication skills as members collaborated and conversed with each other. Mrs. Harbison led iHoot and provided a role model with many exemplary qualities that all of us can learn from. Speaking on Mrs. Harbison’s widespread impact during her virtual teaching career, we can only imagine everything we said today emphasized in her future in-person instruction. Though it is sad to lose such a great teacher and role model at iUP, we have no doubts on the scale of the future impact Mrs. Harbison will have on the many students to come, this being as we have experienced this effect firsthand.

For the last time, we say thank you: Thank you for your work as a teacher; Thank you for your role as founder of iHoot; Thank you for the many students you have aided; Thank you for the countless potential that you have inspired and cultivated.

Mrs. Harbison, you will be greatly missed amongst the staff of iHoot. Your impact on the club and its students, and our greater school community, will never be forgotten.