SHOVEL KNIGHT FOR THE NINTENDO WII U

Retro Inspired, Modern System

www.flickr.com

www.flickr.com

Abbigale Holton, Staff Writer

Shovel Knight is a retro inspired platformer game made by the indie game studio Yacht Club Games.  The game is available for purchase on most current game platforms, but I will be reviewing the Wii U version of the game.

Taking musical cues from classics like Mega Man and Castlevania, along with gameplay that wouldn’t be too out of place in DuckTales or Metroid; Shovel Knight takes all of the NES’ (Nintendo Entertainment System) greatest triumphs and rolls it into one beautiful game.

Shovel Knight’s visuals and music make the game feel like it came out in the 80s, not in 2014!

This sounds like a negative point, but Yacht Club Games have mastered the art of art and sound design, and the game is both a joy to see and to hear.

Shovel Knight’s gameplay doesn’t disappoint either. The game has you digging up secrets and dirt alike; and the platforming is solid. Challenging but forgiving; it’s a game that will have you coming back for more. Last year developer Yacht Club Games released free downloadable content that let you play one of the boss characters in another story, all for free! There are more playable characters in the works as well, planned for a release of sometime this year.

The story is minimal but touching. Shovel Knight is about the adventure of the titular character; Shovel Knight, and his quest to find his missing love, Shield Knight.

While you can get the game on multiple systems, the Wii U and 3DS versions are compatible with the Shovel Knight amiibo. This figure lets players utilize a two player co-op mode; as well as a “Custom Knight” mode. Custom Knight lets players have new cosmetic looks and new or varied “Relics” in the game.

Shovel Knight is a phenomenal game that is well deserved of its praise. You can download the game for $15.00, or you can purchase a physical copy for $20.00. The physical copy includes a free download of the game soundtrack,and a full color instruction manual, a rare treat with modern games.