• April 6Student Kuddos: Shout out to Kirsten White for actively participating! -Tatiana McClung

• April 6iHoot has been made possible by a grant from the GCISD Education Foundation. Thank you for your support!

WHY VISIT SAN FRANCISCO?

Beaches, Bridges, and Bread Bowls

Image taken at Half Moon Bay in San Francisco

Janine Schuman

J.S., Staff Writer

The cool breeze brushes against your cheeks as it swiftly blows the strands of your hair behind your ears. You take in the scent of fresh air. Your eyes cannot fathom the beauty of the ocean blue water. The sound of the waves crashing onto the surface of the sand in front of you, relaxes you. Suddenly, all your stress is forgotten and you’re living in the moment of this beauty. Chances are you are in San Francisco, relaxing in the sand of one of the many beaches in the city. The amount of beautiful beaches are endless.  San Francisco is right on the Pacific Ocean, meaning the ocean views are everywhere you go.

If you are, or ever were considering taking a vacation to San Francisco, I think it’s a great city to visit whether you are going alone, with friends, or family. San Francisco has sites and attractions for all ages. I have visited the city a countless amount of times and i can wholeheartedly say that i grow to love the city more and more each visit. I am going to start off with the nature and outdoor adventures you could engage in.

On my trips my family and I would hike to the top of the Twin Peaks. From the top you can get a view of the entire city, including the Golden Gate bridge, The ocean and the beautiful mountains that stretch so far ahead you can’t see the end due to the fog. In Muir woods you will experience 240 acres of trees. Not just any ordinary trees but trees that are so tall they look like they could touch the clouds. If you are looking for just a nature drive, drive on the trail of the mountains and experience the mesmerizing views from the top of the green mountains.

Pier 39 is another very popular attraction visited by many tourists. At the pier you can do many things such as watching the seals, going to the restaurants and shops and even taking ferries to places such as Alcatraz. screen-shot-2016-09-11-at-7-19-43-pm
Alcatraz is an island in the middle of the pacific ocean where prisoners were kept from 1934 to 1963 until it was shut down and converted to a museum, now visited by many tourists daily. I did visit Alcatraz about two years ago and it was one of the most interesting experiences i have ever gone through. We walked around the entire island with a virtual device that allowed us to view a world that many of these prisoners dealt with. If you ever visit San Francisco I recommend you definitely visit Alcatraz and experience an unforgettable day.

Chinatown and Little Italy are both super cool cities you should visit to experience a cultural world. As for food there are a few restaurants and places i reccomend such as the Ghirardelli Square just a few blocks from the pier. You could visit the Ghirardelli factory and see where the brand first started. You could also go to the shop and find many cool souvenirs made of chocolate and purchase chocolate flavors that are available exclusively at that location only. There is also a small restaurant where you can order ice creams, shakes and much more the ice cream the ice cream there is so good you could never forget the taste of it. For food I recommend eating the burritos from Mission street, they have been known to have the best burritos in the state. The Boudin bread bowl factory is a awesome experience and they serve great fresh homemade soups and homemade bread bowls. As you eat you can see the bread being made on the belts and being delivered straight into the kitchen for preparation.

If I listed all the things you could do in San Francisco I would have to write an entire book. After all I have listed I have not even scratched the surface. If you are looking for a vacation go to San Francisco. You, your friends and your family will have a blast guaranteed.