• Happy Fall! Time to read some amazing articles! 🍂
  • Look at all the amazing articles written by our awesome writers! 😍
  • Welcome back, iHooters! Join us in Mrs. Harbison's LL Room on Fridays at 9:30

PLUNGING INTO THE NEW YEAR

My experience doing a polar plunge in Corpus Christi, Texas to raise awareness for ALS
Brooke Bolinger

With the start of a new year, many people make a plan to change their habits for a fresh start in their lives. This may include investing in new diet plans, committing to working out daily, or limiting time on social media, all of which are healthy habits that can improve your lifestyle. This year I chose to take a different approach to the classic “New Years Resolution”by participating in the Corpus Christi Polar Bear Plunge!

History of the Plunge

The Polar Bear Plunge was created by leader Alissa Mejia as a nonprofit organization to fight against ALS. Alissa’s dad was diagnosed with ALS in 2011 and she created the plunge on January 1, 2015 in order to “focus on positive activity and bringing the community together in understanding and fighting the disease” (CC Polar Bear Plunge). Since then the plunge has raised over $111,862 for ALS research, and is still continuing to make great leaps every year to raise awareness for this disease. 

Participating in the Plunge

The plunge takes place on January 1st at McGee Beach outside the Emerald Beach Hotel in Corpus Christi, Texas. Taking part in the plunge includes a t-shirt or embroidered hat, a decal, a free drink, and access to the hotel’s hot tub and snack buffet after the plunge. Your registration fee goes directly to ALS TDI, which is a nonprofit foundation working to create a cure for ALS. There is a chance to win a prize for the top fundraising individual or top fundraising team. 

The event starts off with a fun-run along the beach with the Corpus Christi Roadrunners to warm up your body before the plunge. This year’s air temperature was 67 degrees and the water temperature was 61 degrees. It is definitely worth it to warm up before the plunge!At noon the countdown starts and the plunge begins as everyone runs into the ocean as a group. This year’s event was aired by Corpus Christi’s news station KIII, who recorded the plunge and interviewed its participants. Check out the video and news article at this link: https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/record-turnout-donations-mark-ninth-annual-corpus-christi-polar-bear/503-24f7cbcc-5571-4e40-b467-a8a5c4559d4d 

New Year, New You!

The Corpus Christi Polar Bear Plunge was a great start for me to wash off the old year and step (or should I say plunge) into the new year. This event created such a community feel as I got to meet new people and share new memories to start off the new year. Check out next year’s plunge at https://www.polarbearplunge.cc/ and hope to see you there!

Resources: