A DOG’S PURPOSE

Thoughts

commons.wikimedia

commons.wikimedia

Tiffany Ringler, Staff Writer

nyone who knows me knows I am a huge animal lover. With the recent passing of my sweet beagle, Brownie, A Dog’s Purpose looked like a sweet and sentimental movie to watch. After all, who doesn’t love a cute movie about man’s best friend? However my plans to see this movie were stopped abruptly when I saw the controversial video surrounding the movie posted by TMZ.com.

In wake of the many protests for animal’s rights many movie producers have started using CGI created animals in their movies. When they use CGI animals you can know that no animals were harmed in the making of the movie. One movie that did this successfully was the Jungle Book. It seems like that would’ve been the best route for the creators of a dogs purpose to take but they instead opted to use real dogs. This turned out to be a big mistake on their part and cost them millions in box office revenue after the video of animal abuse was shown to the public. TMZ had recently posted a video showing a German shepherd on set being thrown into water. The poor pup was hesitant to go in the water in the first place and began to drown after being thrown in. After watching the disturbing video many people, including myself, decided not to go see the movie.

It really was sad to see the poor dog helplessly drowning. PETA made sure to urge people to boycott the movie for the animal abuse. It was a disappointing moment for me but I refuse to give my money to support animal cruelty. Maybe this incident will now give the message that consumers won’t support animal cruelty in movies.