PETER RABBIT REVIEW

Here are some thoughts on the movie Peter Rabbit!

Back to Article
Back to Article

PETER RABBIT REVIEW

Madison Sears, Staff Writer

A couple Sunday’s ago I was lounging about at my grandparents and we were looking for something to do. Somehow we found ourselves at the movie theatre. After grabbing the necessary provisions of popcorn and slushies, we suffered through the previews. I can assure you there are no good movies coming out for a while rated below PG-13. The only reason I even saw this movie is because it stars James Corden, who is absolutely amazing.

Within the first forty-five seconds, four CGI birds fly by singing. Now, I’m a theatre kid and I adore musicals, but I was not prepared for one of the children’s movie sort. They are then swatted away. I sigh in relief. The plot is fairly simple to the story we read in our youth, Peter keeps sneaking into Mr. McGregor’s garden. A new change, however, is that Mr. McG dies really fast of a heart attack and his OCD great-nephew Thomas moves in after being fired.

A nice touch to the movie is there’s a character named Bea who lives next door and draws portraits of the animals. She is an obvious reference to the author of these stories, Beatrix Potter. The whole plot is Bea and Thomas are falling in love and The rabbits and Thomas are fighting in the meanwhile. Of course, it ends happy and Thomas and Bea end up together.

It’s cute but cheesy. The whole movie actually makes fun of itself and breaks the fourth wall quite a bit, making it a little funnier. I’ll give it a 3 out of 5 stars just because of the casting and it was kinda cute. All in all, not terrible, but not anything we haven’t seen before.