CINDER BOOK REVIEW

Here are some thoughts on the book Cinder!

Back to Article
Back to Article

CINDER BOOK REVIEW

Sarah Jagnow and Guin Rogers

Earlier today I finished a novel called Cinder, the first novel in The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.  In the novel, a renowned mechanic with an unknown past, Cinder is a cyborg in a world that is not very accepting of people that are different from themselves. With her evil stepmother and two step sisters, it is impossible not to notice the similarities between this and the fairy tale Cinderella.  Being the sole income for her family, Cinder spends most of her time at her shop in the market.  A job comes along that she is unable to resist, as it is being requested by Prince Kai himself.  She naturally accepts the job, unknowing that it would be the start of a whole new chapter of her life.  A chapter of discovery, troubling paths, deceptive queens from the moon, and one very handsome prince.  Throughout the novel she seems to become more and more intertwined with this new world and she seems to be at the center of it all.

Opinion 1-

This book was very appealing to me, one reason being the ties between the well known fairy tale, but also the way the author strayed away from the original outline to give it a little more pizazz. I also liked the way the author included just a little romance in this adventurous book. The mixture was perfect. I would recommend this to middle school girls looking for a little romance and adventure.

Opinion 2-

Books like Cinder are not a challenging read for a high school student, but I did enjoy reading it for fun.  The plot and the characters seem truly unique.  I’ve already read some of the rest of the series (The Lunar Chronicles) and the way the stories blend together is not like something I’ve ever seen before.  I would recommend this book for anyone looking for a light read with a fairly fast paced tempo.