THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT WILMINGTON

An introduction to the laid back lifestyle at UNCW

Located roughly ten minutes from Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, lies a quaint university often overlooked by those passing by; the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. It was established as Wilmington College in 1947. The school expanded and thrived so well, that in 1969, it joined the UNC System and became known as UNCW.
The University offers an abundance of activities, classes, and degrees, with the most popular degree being marine biology. With an acceptance rate of 72%, UNCW portrays a more laid-back way of academic life. The average undergraduate yearly cost for in-state residents is $26,000, with out-of-state resident costs approaching $40,000. One of the most notable alumni is Skeet Ulrich, who plays F.P. Jones in the popular T.V. show, Riverdale. During his time at UNCW, he studied marine biology before appearing on the big screen.
The campus is surrounded by beautiful pine trees, which is what the Carolina’s are known for. Whether the weather’s boiling hot or freezing cold, on any sunny day in Wilmington, you’re guaranteed to see students headed to Wrightsville Beach. It’s not a strange sight to see swim trunks being worn as shorts and swimsuits under seahawk pride t-shirts when sitting in class or walking around campus. It’s safe to say that life at UNCW is slow and relaxed.
If you’re ever visiting or passing through the Old North State, I highly recommend you take a stroll around the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. With true Southern morals and values, UNCW warmly welcomes everyone!

Credits-
“Giving Flight to Imagination.” University of North Carolina Wilmington, https://uncw.edu/.