GOOGLE PHONE

Jett Pope, Staff Writer

Do you need a new phone? Don’t know which one to get? After all, this year’s iPhone is rather boring. For those of us disappointed by the loss of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and the lack of change in the iPhone 7, Google has unveiled a new smartphone. Well…two smartphones.

First, there is the Google Pixel, coming in with a whopping price tag of $649, or $27.04 every month for 24 months on the Google Store. Then, for another $120, you can get the Google Pixel XL. These are obviously not cheap phones.

However, you get a lot for your money. You get a very unique design, with an aluminum body and chamfered edges, topped off with a glass panel covering the top ⅓ of the device. You get a top of the line screen, a 1440p AMOLED Panel (AMOLED screens have fantastic, punchy colors, and can turn individual pixels off, making for amazing, true blacks, as well as extra battery life). The cameras on these devices are fabulous. Also, there is no ugly camera bump on these devices. These are the first major phones to come equipped with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821, offering slightly better performance than the Snapdragon 820 in most high-end Android devices. Coupled with 4 gigabytes’ of RAM (4 gigabytes of random access memory), and you get super-fast performance. You also get the first Daydream ready smartphone on the market. Daydream is a virtual reality platform from Google. Virtual reality (with phones) allows you to place your device in a headset and open a compatible app, allowing your device to track the movements of your head, making it seem as if you are actually inside the game, movie theatre, etc. Perhaps best of all, you are guaranteed at least 2 years of Android updates the day they are released, allowing you to keep your phone’s software up to date for a long period of time. Most Android phones don’t get very many software updates, and no other devices receive the updates the day they are released.

If you are looking to get a new phone (perhaps this Christmas), and you want to get the best one available, even if it comes at a high price, you should certainly consider Google’s new Pixel phones. They are great devices, with a unique design, great screen, a good camera, fabulous specifications, and several wonderful features.