• Happy Fall! Time to read some amazing articles! 🍂
  • Look at all the amazing articles written by our awesome writers! 😍
  • Welcome back, iHooters! Join us in Mrs. Harbison's LL Room on Fridays at 9:30

THE RISE OF K-POP

From Local to Global
Anika

K-Pop is the music genre of Korean Popular Music. It can be described as traditional Korean music with influences from a variety of genres such as American pop, Hip Hop, and many more. Korean music acts such as BTS, BLACKPINK, and PSY have taken the world by storm and drawn attention from an international fanbase of audiences all over the world. Let’s find out more about this unique music genre that has captured the hearts of fans around the globe.

How it Originated

Formed in the 1950’s, The Kim Sisters were one of the first Korean music acts to gain recognition outside of South Korea. They were a trio of sisters, and they were one of the first international music acts to break into the US music scene. (The Los Angeles Film School)

However, the typical model of K-Pop music today is seen to have originated with Seo Taiji and Boys, widely recognized as the first K-Pop group. (Sportskeeda) They drew influence from a variety of Western music genres, and combined it with Korean music to create a mixture of unique sounds, which formed the signature sound present in Korean pop music today.

How Does it Work?

K-Pop idols perform choreographies on stage while either singing live or lip-syncing a pre-recorded track. Fans then have the opportunity to vote for their favorite performances on music shows. 

To promote their music, groups release teasers, concept videos, and music videos, idols will then perform “challenges” with the song’s choreography to promote their songs across social media platforms.

Global Hits

In recent years, K-Pop has presented many catchy songs that have become worldwide hits. Global sensation “Gangnam Style” by PSY achieved immeasurable success at its release in 2012, and has since increased K-Pop’s prominence on the world stage.

Another globally recognized K-Pop act you may know is Bangtan Sonyeondan, shortened to BTS. They’re a group consisting of 7 members that have achieved worldwide success by setting new records including being the first K-Pop group to perform at a major American award show, having the first K-Pop album to reach the top 10 of the Billboard 200 albums chart, and being inducted into the Guinness World Records Hall of Fame. (Billboard)

Other famous K-Pop artists include BLACKPINK and TWICE, two sensational girl groups who have dominated the K-Pop scene with several domestic and international hit songs and albums.

K-Pop Fans at iUP

8th grader Avika Taneja became a K-Pop fan when she heard the song “How You Like That” by BLACKPINK playing in the background of an advertisement. She was “amazed by the talent of the members of the group,” and “their dancing skills and the catchy song caught [her] attention.” “The lyrics are very meaningful, and no matter whether you can understand the language or not, the music holds a significant value rich in emotions and in melody,” she says. She was then further inspired to explore music from a variety of different K-Pop groups and it is now “one of [her] favorite genres of music.”

Sreenidhi Rudraraju has been interested in K-Pop ever since she was young. “I think my mothers love for kpop is what initially prompted me to listen, as she would play kpop songs sometimes,” she said. Some of Sreenidhi’s favorite artists are 2PM and BIGBANG, as she first got into K-Pop by listening to music by 2nd generation groups. She says that K-Pop has “spread the Korean culture worldwide,” and artists like BTS and BLACKPINK have “spread the popularity.”

Should You Listen to K-Pop?

K-Pop is a genre with a diverse range of songs. From soft, soulful melodies to electrifying hyper pop, there is much variety all throughout. No matter what kind of music you’re interested in, there are sure to be songs that fit your taste. “You’re sure to find some group or artist you enjoy!” says Sreenidhi.

Conclusion

K-Pop has something for everyone. Talented idols grace the stages of music shows offering performances for fans all around the world to enjoy. Whether you enjoy quiet, melodious tunes or lively dance music, there is a huge variety of songs within the music genre, making K-Pop the perfect blend of music for anyone looking to explore it.

Works Cited:

Arnaud, J. (2021, April 7). A brief history of K-pop. Retrieved November 16, 2023, from The Los Angeles Film School website: https://www.lafilm.edu/blog/a-brief-history-of-kpop/

Hegde, V. (2021, August 9). Who was the first K-pop group? Meet Seo Taiji and Boys. Retrieved November 16, 2023, from Sportskeeda website: https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture/who-first-k-pop-group-meet-seo-taiji-boys

Herman, T. (2023, June 12). How BTS took over the world: A timeline of the group’s biggest career moments. Retrieved November 16, 2023, from Billboard website: https://www.billboard.com/lists/bts-timeline-biggest-career-moments/july-9-2021/

View Comments (4)